Guidelines for Creating a Successful Outdoor Ad. Charlotte Zoda, February 28, 2019.
For large format signage that can be seen 24/7, you definitely want to the take time to design a compelling outdoor ad. You may not think there are golden rules to creating and designing an outdoor ad, but there are certain guidelines to follow to ensure that your ad is seen (and remembered!)
- Less is More: People are on the move and 6 seconds is all you have to make an impression. Make those 6 seconds count with a strong message, not multiple messages.
- Copy: Avoid tracking your letters too closely, it’ll be hard to read from a distance. Don’t forget about front. Script, or very thin typefaces, may be difficult to read from far away.
- Color Selection: There’s a psychology behind colors (Red= love, power, danger vs. Yellow = happiness, energy, joy). Be mindful of color contrast with the copy to improve readability.
- Images: Use strong images against simple backgrounds to create a more high-impact visual and improve viewer recall.
- Location Location Location: Keep in mind where the ad is going to be placed. Get creative with the local environment. Let college students know your shop is just up the street.
Rules are meant to be broken but following these simple guidelines will definitely help your ad stand out. Outdoor advertising is a great way to promote brand awareness, increase exposure, and works well with other marketing tactics. This is how a potential new customer will first discover your brand. Make it count.